When we embark on a trip, we check the suitcase so that nothing remains, such as the swimsuit, passport, mobile phone or wallet. However, travel insurance is a service that does not always fit into our suitcase .
When to take out travel insurance
Travel insurance is a useful service for all types of travelers and for all destinations. We never know what can happen once we get to our vacation spot. Unexpected situations can occur anywhere. The economic cost of an injury abroad can be very costly . In some countries, breaking a leg can cost 30,000 euros, an amount that can not easily be dealt with at the moment.
In addition, the contracting of a travel policy guarantees a series of coverages not only during the trip, but also before and after . For this reason it is important to hire it just when we make the reservation. Thus, in case of cancellation of our flight or apartment, we will reimburse the economic expenses.
Travel insurance coverages
There are different types of travel policies and depending on our needs we must hire one or the other. The most common are those that refer to health care and those related to cancellation, although the range is much broader.
In case of illness or accident, the insured will be covered by medical assistance coverage when contracting this policy. In addition to guaranteeing medical expenses, hospitalization or surgery, health care has other more unknown coverage:
- Displacement of the insured to the hospital or medical center.
- Displacement and accommodation of a companion in case the insured is hospitalized
- Transfer and repatriation of both the insured and the companion ..
- Sending medications .
- Advance return , which covers expenses from the place of origin to the destination.
- Transfer and repatriation in case of death.
- Replacement of the insured by repatriation in case of work trips.
- Management and coordination of care services .
- Translation service .
Travel cancellation insurance
This policy covers the cancellation expenses that can be incurred from the time you contract the trip until you arrive home again. Some of the coverages that insurers offer in this type of policies are:
- Accommodation . When there is a cancellation at the hotel, hostel or apartment where we have booked.
- Expenses for cancellation on transportation .
- Car rental .
- Excursions or guided tours that we have contracted.
- Cancellation charges for high-end restaurants where we have made a pre-reservation online.
- Cancellation of travel for health problems , work as dismissal, incorporation to a new job and even cancellation for bureaucratic issues such as a divorce or call to a polling station.
Other travel insurance coverages
- Compensation in case of delay of more than 6 hours at the departure of the flight that results in the loss of transhipment or the obligatory stay until you can travel again.
- Cancellation of the trip due to company problems . In these cases, you can claim the reimbursement of expenses derived from the mandatory stay and, depending on the type of ticket, compensation.
- Location and delivery of luggage and personal effects to the place of travel or the address where the insured lives.
- Civil Liability and Legal Defense In this way, the insured will have covered the expenses of judicial defense as well as the advance of the judicial bond or telephone counseling.
- Compensation for theft or damage to property that may suffer personal effects.